From the recipe file of Virginia Hudson Ryland via Aunt Martha Ryland Jarvis
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups flour, sifted
1 tablespoon milk
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon cloves, ground
1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, whole
16 ounces pecans, chopped
16 ounces red and green candied pineapple, chopped
16 ounces red and green candied cherries, chopped
12 ounces white raisins
1/2 cup whiskey or brandy
0. Preheat oven to 300* F and grease cookie sheets.
1. Chop fruit and nuts.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, sprinkle 1 cup of flour over raisins, chopped fruit, and chopped nuts. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar; add milk and 1 egg and then beat well.
4. Alternate adding the remaining 3 eggs and 3 cups of flour; beat well after each addition.
5. Add spices and baking soda and mix thoroughly.
6. Add whiskey or brandy and continue to mix. This will be a stiff batter.
7. Add fruit/nut mixture and mix well.
8. Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheets.
9. Bake at 300* F for 15 to 20 minutes.
10. Let cool and then pack into tin boxes
Makes 9 dozen cookies
These cookies will keep a month if you hide them!!!!
P.S. Grandmother Ryland also said to grate the nutmeg, so use fresh nutmeg in this recipe if you can find it.
(Jim Ryland's favorite Christmas cookie)